Friday 11 September 2015

I wonder ...

This time last year I was just getting back to work in the 3rd term of a four term school year in Japan. The weather was stifling and the humidity thick in the air as it was every Summer.  It was made so much worse by a recent trip back to NZ, a chilly one, and a niggle that left me with many burning questions.  I was thinking about returning to NZ to go back to University.  It was going to be a massive shift in thinking, lifestyle, income, and life.  What will I do?

Fast forward 12 months and I am at a crossroads again.  I am coming very close to the finish of the formal side of classes and assessment for the course.  The final practicum location is not yet decided and I am waiting eagerly, like an excited child counting down the days to Christmas morning, for where I will be placed; I hope I get what I asked Santa for.

Prior to, during, and after the final practicum (perhaps) there will be the pressure to think of the next step in the journey - applying for positions.  I have been polishing off a new CV, to the buzz around campus of what principals are looking for in them. We all have experience, but the way you convey this in a CV?
Where do I apply for jobs?
Do we (my family) consider relocation - again?
Relocate to where?
What are they really looking for?
Do I fit the bill?
How do I convey my enthusiasm for the job?
Does my experience overseas count?
What is my point of difference?
What type of CV are they looking for?
How do I ensure an interview?
Will things fall into place on practicum?

I find something peculiarly stimulating about questions.  They are a challenge to respond.  How will I respond? I only need to think back to this time last year


No comments:

Post a Comment