Friday 4 September 2015

Wow! Choose a name for a blog? Harder than I would have thought

I had talked with my brother, a Primary teacher in the Auckland area, a number of times about starting a blog to follow/guide my teaching journey.  Humming and hawing on this is something that can only be done so long, and then you just have to step into the void. So it seemed somewhat odd, that in the midst of being very busy with finishing some assignments for the Graduate Diploma in Teaching (Primary) that I am studying for, dealing with a child in need of some urgent dental work, and trying to have a holiday/enjoyable study break, that I was spurned in to the actual decision to start a blog.  Why would I do this when I am seemingly busy?  Perhaps it is more the indication of the true nature of teaching; taking on even more tasks even when you are already busy.

So why now?


I attended the eduignitehautapu evening on 3rd of September, 2015.  I have been a tweeter for a long time and had been in contact with @mrs_hyde about attending, and she put me on the path to confirming attendance, of which I am grateful.   That actual confirmation of attendance was an unusually nervous step for me.  I am not entirely sure what the cause of the trepidation was. I have been outside of my comfort zone lots of times. It is not like I haven't made big decisions in my life, and not like those decisions haven't turned out wonderful (I will get into that more in other posts). Nor do I consider myself a shy person.

The angst at the centre of taking the step to attend, was that I was excited. I am motivated by the prospect of becoming not just a teacher, but a great teacher. Kind of like the way you hear of newly named All Blacks, not settling for just being labelled as an All Black, instead having that drive to become remembered as a great one.  In saying that, I am not setting lofty goals for myself as a teacher like recognition on a national level - but then again, why shouldn't I set lofty goals for myself? I'm rambling now - back to the point. I recognise seeking ways to build myself as an educator is an integral part of the building blocks to becoming someone who does great work. Attending the evening turned out to be a great decision in more ways than one.

Not only did I gain ideas, but I am now writing this.  I guess that final inspiration that pushed me over the edge was @ariaporo22 who said something along the lines of, 'Don't think about starting, just start.' So I did.

A couple of tweets later about which platform is best to use and I am typing.  So here goes ...

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging, Blake. I really enjoyed reading your first post. The thing to do, as Alex (her enthusiasm is very infectious!) said, is just to start and always hit publish! (This coming from an English teacher who is so critical of her own writing that I have about 22 draft posts sitting there! But I'm encouraging my students to blog this semester and am therefore trying to be a little less hypocritical!)

    Keep up the reflections and I'll look forward to reading them :)

    ReplyDelete